Birthday Gift to Myself

Yes I am a bit delayed, but hey I’ve been busy with my new little princess! Typing 1 handed while breastfeeding isn’t exactly the easiest thing in the world you know.

On July 27th at about 4:00 I was seen for my 40 week appointment. The doctor checked me and said I was dilated to two and 50% effaced. At about 6:30 I started having contractions. By 8:30 I was pretty sure they were the real deal. They were every 5 min and definitely getting stronger. Cameron was sleeping because he was supposed to be at work at 11pm. I woke him up and told him I was getting in the bath and if the contractions didn’t stop or slow down he’d better call in to work. When I got in the tub they actually increased to every 3 minutes, so Cam called work and his mom.

Gena (Cam’s mom) arrived at about 9:30pm and we were out the door at 10:00. We got to the hospital at 10:30 and got checked in. They didn’t have any rooms open so we had to sit in the waiting room for about 30 min. That was fine with me because I’d much rather be hanging out in a comfy chair that strapped up with all those monitors and stuck with needles.

At about 11pm we were into a room and they checked my dilation I was at 5 and contracting every three minutes. At about 12:30 they moved us from the assessment room into the actual labor and delivery room. They, of course, immedietly wanted to attach me to an IV. I told them no. They said they had to clear that with the doctor. At about 1 am he came in to check me and said I was dilated to 7. He broke my water, said no need for an IV then sat down to wait. A few minutes later I was ready to push. Two contractions and 3 pushes later our little girl Leah Margaret Smith arrived at 1:23 am on the 28th. Happy Birthday mom! Leah got her first name form Cameron’s grandmother Onalea and Her middle name from my grandmother Margie.

Meeting Miss Leah

Leah arrived weighing 7lbs 10 oz and was 20.5 inches long. She has a head full of dark hair and looks remarkably like her big sister.

A few hours old

She was able to hang out with mommy for a little more than an hour and then had to go up to the nursery for her baby assessment and first bath. Daddy watched her through the window until she was brought back to mommy a few hours later.

Daddy loves his princess

Now 9 days later everything is going great. At 6 days Leah was back to her birth weight (they give them 2 weeks to do that). At 8 days she was an inch longer.

I'm growing up!

 She already sleeps for 8 hours at night, eats, then sleeps for another 3-4. Mommy is LOVING that! She is such a calm little girl too. Hardly ever cries and usually can be pacified by a little cuddling or swaddling.

baby burrito!

 Her only problem is a bit of acid reflux. Maddy and Ben are both in love with their little sister. Maddy always wants to hold baby Leah and Ben likes to try to give her the pacifier whenever she doesn’t have one.

We love our new baby!

Maddy think this is HER baby


Mommy is doing great to. I’m a little more tired this time around, but bouncing back almost as quick as usual.

About smithfamilysiren

Me and my partner in crime, Cameron, are just a bit crazy according to most of the people we know. Why? Because we love procreation! Our clan consists Corey born Oct 2002, Madeline March 2008, Benjamin May 2009, and Leah July 2010. We have no plans of stopping any time soon. Come join us on the rollercoaster of pregnancy, birth, diapers, feeding, outings, and all the other craziness that ensues when you have a house full of little people.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s